Bangkok

"You see, what people without facebook don't realise", the french man i have just befriended is explaining to me, "is that they worry about being monitored online, but they all have cellphones!" he throws up his hands and begins laughing, which turns into a cough and a hacking of phlegm onto the warm street. "Every conversation is recorded and kept for One Year. At least! That is why i like writing. With writing you simply have more control over your expression."

I couldn't agree with my new friend more, (although some of his stories about his prolific sex life were more eyeopening than convincing) which is why i am excited to begin my first real overseas adventure story with these, his parting words.

After a mammoth 9 and a half hour flight from Melbourne, i stepped into the muggy Bangkok heat last night a little bewildered, very tired and of course keen to get straight into it. Although I am worried about being so easily identified as an Australian, one of my favourite things about Taiwan and Thailand is the immediate availability of cheap, cold beer from the convenience stores. A tinny and cigarette after such a long flight quickly put my nerves back in order. (I don't know why, but i seem to find myself smoking alot in Asia - i think that it's something to do with the air pollution, and wanting to contribute.)

The next morning I wandered out on the street with not much in mind apart from perhaps finding a massage. But Thai people are so friendly, that i barely made it 300 metres from the Guest-House before being stopped (twice) and asked if i knew where i was and where I should go. Following the second of my two new rules, that being "Say Yes to Everything", my impromptu tour guide quickly explained that today (Valentines day elsewhere in the world) was a Buddhist holiday, and that several important temples which i needed to see were open free, and on top of this good luck, Tuk Tuk petrol was subsidised by the government, meaning that the Tuk Tuk which he was currently flagging down for me would take me to all the sights for only 20 Baht (about 80 cents). He left a "very Good Luck!" ringing in my ears as my third guide for the day whisked me off into the traffic in his amazingly bright and chromed Tuk-Tuk.

The highlight of the morning was arriving at the Standing Buddha temple, and finding myself actually able to engage with the deity on offer. I knelt and i prayed, genuinely. A chalky faced old lady sold me a cage with 4 captive sparrows inside, telling me that when released before the Buddha they would grant me Good Luck for Life! (capital letters intended). 4 Sparrows in the cage, and 4 thoughts crossed my mind. Happiness for Joh, Health for the Baby, Strength for Myself and the last bird for the Wisdom of the Buddha. Letting them free made my day.

They're probably homing sparrows though, but i don't mind. Thailand can con me as much as it wants at the moment - but it still leaves me smiling.

Love you all
M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men and Feminism

Creating Meaningful Contemporary Circus

Getting Risky in Rishikesh